Your online privacy is under attack. Governments and corporations often place their objectives and agendas far above the importance of individual privacy rights. Many would argue that there is no longer a slow erosion of user privacy – the pace has quickened. Now more than ever, it is imperative that Internet citizens educate themselves on these threats and band together as a collective voice.
The organizations listed below offer educational resources and information on how you can get involved to help protect your digital privacy rights. We encourage you to ‘Like” their Facebook pages and visit their websites. For your convenience, you can subscribe to a Facebook Interest List that we created – Online Privacy Resources (this list includes all of the pages below)
- Electronic Frontier Foundation – The Electronic Frontier Foundation (EFF) is the first line of defense when your rights in the digital world come under attack.
- EPIC – Electronic Privacy Information Center – Defending Privacy – EPIC is a public research center, based in Washington, DC. For 15 years, EPIC has been on the front lines of the leading battles to safeguard privacy, freedom of expression, and civil liberties.
- Center for Democracy & Technology – CDT is a public interest group working to keep the Internet open, innovative, and free.
- IAPP (International Association of Privacy Professionals) – The International Association of Privacy Professionals is the largest association of privacy pros with more than 10,000 members in 70 countries. It helps define, support and improve the profession through networking, education and certification.
- Data Privacy: NCSA – Data Privacy: NCSA is a a page managed by the National Cyber Security Alliance to help those interested in data protection and privacy keep up to date on the issues.
- Future of Privacy Forum – Advancing Responsible Privacy Practices.
- Privacy and Security Guide – Unofficial Guide To Facebook Privacy And Security
- Facebook and Privacy – Like this Page to learn how to exercise your choice to share what you want with those you want, keep up with changes, and talk with others about the importance of privacy in our digital age.
- TRUSTe – protects your privacy and help companies build trust with their customers and users.
- Abine – the online privacy company. *
Do Not Track + is a FREE browser plugin created by Abine. This easy to install plugin keeps websites from tracking you. If you value your online privacy, then you should definitely take advantage of this free product.
PRIVATE WiFi® is a Personal VPN that encrypts everything you send and receive. Don’t access Facebook from a public WiFi hotspot without it.
BitDefender Safego is a Facebook application you can install that will scan your News Feed and help keep you safe from scams like this.
Action Alert | Free Parental Control offers a 100% free Internet safety solution designed for parents. There is also a Maximum Protection option for parents that need a more advanced set of tools.